Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sophistique Noir Monthly Theme: Vintage

I used to have & wear a lot of vintage clothing. In college, I worked at a second-hand clothing store, so I bought from the store's stock all the time. I had flirty little dresses, beaded sweaters, perky hats, & piles of jewelry. But over time, I've sold off the collection or it simply wore out

However, I do occasionally find vintage pieces I can wear for my costume events. They tend to be fragile, so I don't want to spend much money on the items, knowing I will only get one or two wears out of it before the item becomes a study piece. But it's fun to wear something with history.

In 2006, I wore this vintage 1930s dress to the Art Deco Society's Gatsby Picnic.


The same year, I wore this authentic 1914 evening gown to the Gala Ball at Costume College.



In everyday wear, I tend to only wear vintage jewelry, since clothing like this is either too extravagant for the office or just too delicate. But I love clothing with vintage styling details too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment