Friday, October 21, 2011

Goth Challenge #10 - The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

#10: What do you hate and love about the subculture?
(Continuing the Goth Challenge questions -- follow the tag below to see all.) 

Oh dear. Where to start... well, I do get tired of the samey-ness, which is kind of to be expected. Everyone dresses in black, everyone wears corsets & big boots, everyone wears a lot of eyeliner & dark lipstick, everyone listens to the same music & goes to nightclubs, everyone likes skulls & bats, blah blah blah. The cliches can build up & look trite, tired, & old.

It's why I don't want to wear more obviously goth stuff than I do. Corp with a goth flavor, instead of cliche goth trying to squeeze into corporate. I do not want to look like a cartoon character because I'm not one. I'm a real person, I'm an individual, I may like the subculture, but I'm not only made of this one subculture.

What do I love? The aesthetic, which combines modern edgy darkness with a connection to the past. While the music clued me in about the subculture as a kid, it was the fashion, the style, the trappings, all that really drew me in and kept me going throughout the years. I discovered I could goth my whole world, not just a few mix tapes. That's what I find appealing, the beautiful darkness in everyday things.

1 comment:

  1. I collect gargoyles - I have one very similar to that guy in my bathroom (he sits on the floor).

    ReplyDelete